Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Engagement Rings

Lea and I were packing the kitchen last night and I got on the subject of engagement rings, because a few weeks ago Gary (my supervisor at the photo lab) and I got into an argument about them.

I insisted that the cost of the ring had nothing to do with deciding what my future love should get me, if anything it should be inexpensive. My logic was I am low maintenance and I don't like big expensive flashy things. And I would rather that money be spent on a car, truck, honeymoon or anything else you can think of. But a little tiny ring? that I would hate wearing mind you if it were too big, too heavy, too sharp or too flashy.

Gary argued that I should not sell myself so short and started spouting off about about its a symbol of love and the thousands of dollars should be spent minimum.

My problem with this is that unless the reason for the expense is pure quality and design I will be pissed. If my future love buys me a ring that I hate because he thinks the one I want isnt expensive enough then that fucker doesnt know me at all. And why should I marry a man that doesn't know me well enough to know when I say I want something you better damn well get the one I want and not some overpriced flashy thing that some stuck up rich fat cat would wear. Loving me is knowing that I like things simple. I'm no hippie, but I don't need diamonds and pearls and fancy cars and mansions. .. granted I would like a 2008 titan fully loaded and a house with a pool and big bed rooms and at least one room for my office and one for my studio with an awesome landscaped yard with a miniture forest in the back to get lost in. I wouldnt turn down a big screen tv or a shopping spree to the mac store. And I know how to spend hundreds of dollars on clothes, believe you mean I can find ways to spend that extra money he saved on the ring.

I want a nice, simple, modest, elegant ring. the thinner the band the better, just thick enough to last thru the years, and diamonds small round and the least obtrusive the better. I value design much more over karat. And I value the effort put in and the thought put in by my man soooo much more than anything else some rich fat kat would slap on some snobbish woman's hand.

I value time, thought. I try, when I can, to deemphasis the material things. They are just things. I can't be bought. And my husband should know and respect that.

2 comments:

Welcome to Elinor Island said...

I am sure whatever your ring will look like it will be BEAUTIFUL!

Klick Here said...

I agree-it's not the ring that matters, it's the sentiment that is attached. Plus if it's too big, you scratch yourself and/or future hubby. Even washing your hands becomes dangerous.