There are lots of fans, young and old of The Twilight Saga, books and movies alike. I was a fan, but not hardcore until a few months ago when visiting my sister Heather in IL and she suggested I read the books to pass the time waiting for Elena's (my niece) dance recital to begin.
At first I was reluctant. I haven't had the attention span/focus to finish a novel in years. My books shelves are filled with books I've bought and never opened and some I've started but stopped before the end of the 1st chapter. I had resorted to audio books for the last few years because it was easier to listen than to read. So when she suggested it, I was positive I wouldn't get very far.
Funny thing was I picked it up and didnt want to put it down. I think it was helped by my lack of activity options.
I blew thru the 1st book in a matter of just a few days. Mostly reading on the plane and airport, which I've NEVER been able to do. 2nd books was harder, being that I was home and more easily distracted by tv, work, roommates and my always messy and in desperate need of organization room. But I did it, finally and have moved on to Eclipse. I'm about halfway thru at the moment.
More than that though I rediscovered the movies that I already knew I liked and grabbed on to this strange obsession, particularly with New Moon and the idea of losing her Edward and the vacuum that consumed her. Friends will tell you its not hard to make me cry. And its truely not, but even THINKING of the scene where the camera circles her and time goes by, but she just sits still. That song.
I have no Edward. But the connection to the idea of the lostness that she feels. The numbness. The loneliness. The idea of going thru the motions. I understand that perfectly.
This fantasy sci-fi romance is exactly the kind of thing I love. I understand why she would want to be a vampire, but I understand it on a non-literal level. She wants to be something more than she is. She wants to realize her potential. Follow her calling, be with her own kind and belong to there.
No comments:
Post a Comment